Innovista Research Campus
Size of project: Total: 340,000 SF
Biomedical Research Laboratory: 110,000 SF
Horizon Research Laboratory: 125,000 SF
Public Health Research Laboratory: 105,000 SF
Construction cost: Total: $84 million
Phases of Commissioning: Schematic Design through Post-Occupancy
This first phase of the campus consists of three research laboratory buildings for chemistry, energy, biomedical, and public health. The buildings contain wet labs, dry labs, vivarium, large meeting and lecture rooms, classrooms, offices, and two parking decks. The projects will be LEED® certified. System WorCx is providing commissioning, energy modeling, IAQ testing, and Measurement & Verification Plans.
The project commissioned systems included:
- Johnson Controls Metasys Building Automation System integrated into campus networked control system.
- 100% outside air central air handling units with DDC-controlled variable air volume reheat air terminal units.
- Exhaust heat recovery.
- Variable-volume laboratory control and fume hood exhaust systems with Phoenix control valves.
- Steam to heating hot water heat exchangers.
- Variable volume chilled water and heating hot water.
- Lighting controls based on occupancy sensors and dimmers.
- Emergency Generators and Automatic Transfer Switches.
- Fire pumps and fire protection systems.
System WorCx Scope of Work:
System WorCx was hired as a third-party commissioning firm contracted directly to the University. Commissioning included HVAC and controls, emergency electrical power, plumbing, and lighting controls. Michael Mantai was the commissioning authority performing all commissioning activities (design reviews, Cx plan, field testing, troubleshooting, etc.).
Scope includes design phase work (design reviews, specifications, etc.), construction phase work (submittal reviews, site observations, meetings, checklists, testing, etc.), and post-occupancy work (occupant surveys, followup testing and trending, opposed season testing, warranty punchlist, etc.).
System WorCx is also providing energy modeling to demonstrate building energy efficiency, measurement & verification plans to verify building energy usage, and pre-occupancy indoor air quality testing services for the projects.